Auckland, New Zealand
15 December 2020
15 January 2021
About The Organisation
Our client is a multi-disciplinary engineering and construction consulting firm with a presence in New Zealand and Australia. As a true leader in the professional services field, our client works closely with private and public entities to deliver development projects today that will shape the world of tomorrow. They advise on the strategic side of projects across commercial structures, retail builds and large industrial developments. Market sectors are across water, transport, urban development and survey projects.
With about 140 staff in NZ, they're a consultancy that punches above its weight with the projects they're involved in for its size. They have specialist knowledge from a range of experts in the field that you'd expect of a larger consultancy, but with the agility and collaborative environment that you might expect within a smaller consultancy. The staff benefits on offer are second to none and include perks like banking and life-insurance discounts, education bursary programs for further learning, and workplace wellness initiatives.
About The Position
As the sole Legal Counsel in NZ, you will advise various business units in NZ with the support from the legal team in Australia. Reporting into the Australian based General Counsel, the position is 4 days per week with potential scope (if it worked for both sides) to increase to 5 days per week as workflows and capacities increase. The organisation operate with flexibility (some ability to work from home) and have offices in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch - therefore the role could be based in one of these main locations for them. As a Legal Adviser, your work will span across the entire business including:
- Commercial contracts management for procurement and supply of services (e.g. managing the RFP process);
- Advice around deal structuring and other commercial arrangements;
- Risk management;
- Project management and corporate governance;
- Dispute resolution, including managing insurance claims for construction disputes (with the help of external counsel); and
- General commercial legal advice on various business activities.
There would be the support of external Counsel and the legal team in Australia in aspects of the work too.
You would ideally have:
- 5+ years PQE with some experience across the front-end commercial construction and infrastructure sector;
- Solid skills in general commercial contract reviews, drafting and negotiations, deal structuring and being able to provide commercially sound advice on projects;
- NZ qualified lawyer;
- A commercial mindset that balances risk with results, and the ability to partner with the business to achieve commercially sound outcomes;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Perhaps you have gained solid private practice experience and you'd like to take your skills into the right in-house legal environment, or maybe you are already an in-house lawyer and looking to join an organisation with growth potential where your contributions will be valued. Get in touch with us to find out more!
For a confidential discussion, contact Harrison on 027 274 5926 or apply by sending your CV and academic transcript to email@example.com or by clicking on 'APPLY' now.